Thursday, May 17, 2007

Encounter with a Stranger

Have you ever run into a stranger or had an encounter where you realized someone else had the same coping mechanism as you (SI, in my case), and in that flash, connected some way?

Last night I was at the store picking up a few items -- Mederma and band-aids being two items. In the band-aid aisle I had to stop and look because they had moved stuff around. They had gotten rid of the generic large band-aids too. Another woman was there looking. I noticed she had razor blades in her hand and also picked up a box of large sized band-aids. Our eyes caught and she knew that I knew - and I noticed her looking at my purchases and I knew that she knew. Our eyes seemed to convey that slightly embarrassed, slightly glad to know I'm not the only one - message. That was the end of our encounter but when I left I felt like I knew her.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I hope that, as sad as it was for you to briefly meet this person, you at least know that you are not alone anymore. You met, in person, although briefly, someone who copes the way you do - and, for now, that is okay.