Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Pain of Doing it Right

I was working on a burning a CD today. On it I included "Goodbye Earl" by Dixie Chicks - "She put on dark glasses, long-sleeved blouses and makeup to cover the bruises"......."Earl walked right through that restraining order and put her in intensive care"....."it didn't take them long to decide - Earl had to die."

Then I added "Independence Day" by Martina McBride - "She tried to pretend he wasn't drinkin' again, but Daddy left the proof on her cheek"...."Well she lit up the sky the 4th of July. By the time that the fireman came, they just put out the flames and took down some names, And sent me to the county home. Now i ain't sayin it's right or it's wrong - But maybe it's the only way"...."Let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning. Let the weak be strong, Let the right be wrong, Roll the stone away, Let the guilty pay - On Independence Day."

I also added "Janie's Got a Gun" by Aerosmith - "What did her daddy do? What did he put you through? They said when Janie was arrested, They found him underneath a train, But man he had it coming, "........."She said cos nobody believes me, The man was such a sleaze"......"Run away, run away from the pain"........"now that Janie's got a gun She ain't never gonna be the same ."

I like those songs. I like the beat. I like that the "good girls" win. (disclaimer - I am not encouraging, condoning or suggesting anyone commit violence or take the law into their own hands). There hasn't been a lot of "good girls" winning in my real life lately. I like thinking about these songs and that maybe - out there somewhere - they do win.

I've had a rash of cases lately where parents protected their children the best way they knew how. They followed all the rules. They trusted the justice system to keep them safe - the justice system that I work in. It didn't protect their children. It failed them. A toddler child is growing up in a home with a felon father - developing, perhaps, into a young teenager that will be more pleasing to his disgusting and perverse tastes.Other children will grow up without a mother or father. They will grow up knowing that their mother died after trying to protect them - shot by their own father.

I don't condone violence. But some days I understand why Earl had to die, why Janie got a gun, and why there was the need for an Independence Day.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I couldn't have said it better myself, Enola. I don't condone violence, either. I, too, understand about Earl, Janie and Independence Day. I use to sing that song at karaoke (Independence Day). Ironically, my father used to like to hear me sing it. I haven't been singing for quite a long time now. Since the really bad flashback in December 2005. One of these days I will sing it again.

Me and my big mouth. Why did I have to mention him? Damn him.

lawyerchik said...

Another song along those lines is Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" - again, not condoning the violence, but a Louisville slugger can solve a lot of problems.....