Saturday, September 27, 2008

Our Baby Boy is Here - birth story

Our Baby Boy is here!! I'll have to look at all the guesses to see who was closest. But for now I'll just cut and paste the email I sent out.

Tuesday I had a midwife appt and was pronounced 3 cm dilated at 3 days post-due date. The midwife said things were "favorable" and it could be any moment. I had some cramping that afternoon and did a lot of housecleaning. At 8 pm the contractions started but were sporadic. By 10pm they were 8 minuets apart and pretty regular. By midnight they were still regular. DH went to sleep but I was too excited. At 3 am, they were 5 minutes apart so we called the midwife. She told me to take a warm bath and tylenol and see if they remained steady. They progressed to 3 1/2 minutes apart in the bathtub and were pretty intense. At 6 we called the midwife and she said to come in.

We got DD up and drove to daycare to drop her off. The contractions were painful. At the hospital the midwife checked and I was just 4 cm. The contractions became less patterened too. My blood pressure was extremely high so they took blood. After awhile the midwife said I could (1) go home with pain meds and monitoring my blood pressure or (2) have my water broken and an induction (of sorts). I was NOT leaving at that point. At that point it had been 12 hours of labor and I was not progressing so I was very upset and tired.They broke my water and the contractions got more intense. My blood pressure stayed high.

About noon they wanted to do pitocin since contractions were still not regular. So I "gave in" (okay I begged ) for an epidural and got that and the pitocin. At that point, baby's heartrate dropped really low with each contraction and my blood pressure plummeted. So I got ephinephrin (sp?) and they had me turning every which way to get the heart rate steady. It was just with contractions so midwife thought it was a cord issue.I started pushing at 3:30. After about 2 pushes the midwife got a funny look on her face.

I was her 350th (ish) birth but the first face presentation she'd seen. Most babies come with the upper part of their head presenting - their head is tucked to their chest and the narrow top of their head slides through. Baby was facing the ceiling with his nose and lips coming out first. So his forehead was riding my pubic bone. Plus his heart rate was still dropping. The midwife talked C-section for a minute and called the doctor - who was a doctor I saw a lot with DD and loved. So Dr. came in and said she thought we could do it and it would be better to go vaginally - quicker. So they had me again push in LOTS of different positions. It hurt and I tore a bit (second degree) but he was born at 4:38 after 1 hour of pushing.

He is 19 3/4 inches; 6 lbs 11 oz. He was really bruised and swollen. I got to hold him briefly. Then they were having problems getting his breathing to slow down. His nose was bruised and swollen and since babies only breathe through noses, he was gasping. So they whisked him off to the NICU. DH went with him. I stayed to be stitched. My nurse was awesome. She sat down with me and held my hand and talked me through everything. Then she pushed for some favors so I could get in a wheelchair and go to NICU and nurse - even though NICU was closed to visitors for staff switch-over. As soon as I got there, they announced his x-ray was clear, test results were great. The bruising was staring to fade too.

Baby stayed in NICU that night. I had them buzz me every feeding. I nursed and we bottle supplemented with the little bit I could pump and formula. His respiration slowed and we got his blood sugars back up. He came out of NICU Thurs morning.We are home now. His swelling is almost all gone and he is beautiful. My milk is in and Daughter is being "overly" helpful but good. The in-laws were awesome - took great care of Daughter.

My sister and niece arrived last night. Today she took Daughter and niece out grocery shopping. Then she came and cleaned my house while I naped. Now Husband has the girls out at a festival and I'm sleeping!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yee-haw!! Yipee kiyay!!! Congrats!
Delane

16 blessings'mom said...

Congratulations! Wow, it sounds like it was a rough go. My brother and sister-in-law had a "sunny side up"....I am so so glad for you that you got to go ahead and deliver, instead of a cesaerean...and thank God he is okay....I'm happy for you.

della

Kahless said...

Wow!

Congratulations!!!

lawyerchik said...

"Wow!" is right!! I'm so glad everything worked out, though!! Whew!! :) I'm glad your nurse was so good, too! That had to have helped your little one recover from the rocky start - having his mama right there as often as possible.

Get as much rest as you can, and enjoy the time you have with your new baby (and your daughter)!! Congratulations, Enola!

Lynn said...

I hope you will take advantage of all help and rest you can get. And all baby head smell, too. :-)

prochaskas said...

Congratulations, and welcome, little boy.

Maia said...

Congrats on your new addition!

Angel said...

Congratulations to Mom and Welcome to Baby Boy!

I'm glad you were able to still deliver vaginally (without surgical intervention) but ouch!

Tamara said...

Sounds exhausting, painful but very, very wonderful. I am tearing up for some reason. Very excited for you and your family. Congratulations, Enola! Welcome little guy!

Many hugs,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the birth of your newest "Darling"! Darling Husband, Darling Daughter, and now Darling Son! And don't forget Darling You!

It is good to hear that everyone is home and doing well.

May God continue to bless your family.

keepers said...

Dear Enola

We are so very happy for you and your family. Sounds like all is ending well and we pray all is well from here on out!

peace and safe hugs

keepers

austin said...

This little guy gave a scare in the beginning and a scare coming out. My goodness. So shall we nickname him Sunny for Sunny Side Up?

I thought you were going to say he was born with a full mouth of teeth. That's quite rare but when you said the MW had a funny look on her face I was sure you were going to say teeth not facing up.

I know that had to be painful for both of you and I'm happy he's okay and you're okay.

Austin

jumpinginpuddles said...

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
we say wow cool ace amazing and the littles ohhhh babi :):):):) happi happi happi