Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bolt-ing out of the Theater



Forget about Bolt-ing across America. I just wanted out of the theater.

The boys were all hunting. My Sister, niece, Daughter and I (with Baby in tow) decided to do a bit of shopping. With two exhausted children, we decided a movie was in order. So we bit the bullet and paid full price (matinee price) for a 3D theater. Sister and I paid $18 each. We then spent an additional $20 on popcorn and drinks.
The kids loved the 3D glasses. Daughter enjoyed her Coke - a real treat for her to have caffeine. We settled in.
The previews came up and Baby starts to whine so I settle in to nurse him. The first preview is for a Star Trek movie. Some violence. Next preview has a shoot-em-up scene with some language. Sister looks at me and says, "what is up with these previews?" The kids aren't paying too much attention though. Then there is a preview where a woman takes off her shirt in a strip-tease motion, down to her bra. Daughter announces, "Look Mommy, Moo-moos" (Her word for breasts). I am shocked. Then the preview for Valkyrie comes on. Lots of harsh sounds and violence. Daughter starts crying. Sister and I are covering their eyes. I look around and all the other parents (about 30 families) are doing the same. Everyone else has 3D glasses on so I figure we are in the right place.
Then the movie comes on. It's James Bond. The first scene is a driving chase scene with bullets, crashes and blood. Daughter cries, "I don't like this. I want to go home." Sister says to watch the kids and goes out. I try to gather up 3 kids, including one baby, all popcorn and drinks. Everyone around me is muttering and leaving. Sister comes back in and announces that it is in theater 2.
We go to theater 2 and the movie has started already. Sister leaves again and comes back and says management is going to re-start it. But they never do.
My ticket stubs say theater 3, which is where we were. Sister's say theater 13. Everyone in theater 3 with us thought it was Bolt and the sign said Bolt.
So we get re-settled. Kids stop crying. As we leave, we ask to see management. The manager is busy and "will be down shortly." The teenager ticket taker says "things are just crazy here today." Another says, "Well we switched the marque sign." Yeah, AFTER we went in. They give us our money back. The manager never comes down so we leave.
So I had to calm down Daughter who is still upset that she saw "blood" and wants to know "why did that man shoot the other guy?" Sister had to explain to niece why people were stripping off their clothes. UGH. I am pissed and writing a letter to corporate headquarters.



5 comments:

mssc54 said...

I had a similar thing happen. I took our (then) 3 & 5 year olds to see Madasgar when it first came out.

We didn't even make it through the prieviews. "F" word and all.

Oops. They gave us our money back PLUS three free tickets to a future movie.

I used it as an oppertunity to teach them about proper language and to do the right thing.

April_optimist said...

Whoa! I'd be furious too! Glad they at least refunded your money but it's really sad it happened at all.

Tamara (TC) said...

Enola,

That is horrible! So sorry you had to go through that. Getting a refund doesn't even begin to make up for enduring the whole situation. I hope that you get some satisfaction when you write corporate headquarters.

Hugs,
Tamara

jumpinginpuddles said...

oh man wed be pissed too

Angel said...

Be sure to mail that letter. That's awful!