Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Sick Again


My Baby started with a cough on Sunday night. We've all had coughs here so I didn't think much about it. Daughter has had a cough for several days. Hers is productive. She can blow her nose, cough, clear her throat, have medicine and take cough drops. Not Baby. I just want to say to him, "clear your throat already." He had that raspy, wheezy type sound.

RSV, pneumonia, strep and a nasty cough are all going around daycare. So in an abundance of precaution, Husband wanted a doctor to see him. Off I went, sure I would pay my $20 copay to be told it's just a cold.

The doctor came in and said it was probably a cold, but because it was the holidays and all that junk was going around, he would take blood, get an oxygen level, and run an RSV nasal swab test. Good news - no infection and oxygen levels are good. Bad news - he has RSV.

Doc said we all probably have it. Husband, Daughter and I probably won't ever experience anything other than common cold symptoms. In babies though, it can be quite serious. Because it is a virus, antibiotics won't do anything. The biggest risks are breathing related. To be safe, the doc wants his breathing monitored 24-7. Since it was no fun being in the hospital last time, we can do this at home. Husband went to bed at 8 pm. I'm up until 2 or 3 am to carefully watch Baby breathe. Then I'll wake Husband and we'll switch. Really, getting 5 hours straight may be better than spread out like it has been. We are to do this through Sunday and then if he seems better, we can quit.

We decided to go ahead to the in-laws. Husband and Daughter can go visit family. We'll skip the elderly aunts & uncles, as well as the cousin with the new baby. We'll go to the family gathering if no one there is sick. Doc wants us to avoid sickly people to avoid Baby getting anything else. If we go, he will be in a sling and no one will be near him. No passing the Baby around this year.

Really I'd like to stay home, but I know my Daughter would be terribly disappointed. She's feeling a bit left out already with him being so sick.

I figure I'll pull out the scrapbook stuff a few nights, catch up on blogging, play online games and lysol everything!

Oh, and just in case that wasn't enough, the doc decided it was time to ultrasound Baby's hips since they still seem tight. So that is Monday. I just decided to heck with work - I'm staying out Monday and Tuesday too - no way I'm putting Baby in daycare for those two days. Fingers crossed he is better so we can travel to see my Sister.
Hey, I wonder if I'll get to see the fat guy come down the chimney since I'll be awake???

7 comments:

mssc54 said...

We had never heard of RSV until last month when my 3 year old grandson got it.

Doctor said it was unusual for children "so old" to get RSV.

He road the ambulance from his pediatrician to the emergency room.

His O2 levels were very low. He tolerated the oxygen mask until he started feeling a little better. Then they had to start giving him steriods-breathing treatments.

He was in the hospital from noon until about 5pm the next day.

Eventually they diagnosed Asthma.

RSV is nothing to fool around with.

I guess this is going to put a crimp in hunting!

Best of luck, I hope the baby bounces back quickly!

beautifuldreamer said...

Maddy was in the hospital last Christmas with RSV. She was there for over a week, poor thing.

I hope your baby has a milder case of it than she had...

Kahless said...

The fat guy wont come down the chimney if someone is watching!

sorry baby is unwell. Er, what is RSV?

Merry Christmas

mssc54 said...

Here's a link about RSV.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/rsv.html

prochaskas said...

I hope he recovers quickly and without complications, and that a lower-key Christmas is still Merry for all of you.

Enola said...

Mssc - same thing with my nephew. He ended up hospitalized and now has asthma. No crimp in hunting from RSV - just from today's drama (see post above).

Kahless - see the link mssc posted about RSV.

Everyone - thanks for the good well-wishes.

Tina / Anxious Changer said...

Sorry to be so MIA - poor baby! Gabriel was right with him! Our ped thinks RSV (we didn't have to take him to the hospital though, so it was not confirmed) - but, he is still on the nebulizer. Hope your little guy is better soon!

Hugs... Tina