My Baby started with a cough on Sunday night. We've all had coughs here so I didn't think much about it. Daughter has had a cough for several days. Hers is productive. She can blow her nose, cough, clear her throat, have medicine and take cough drops. Not Baby. I just want to say to him, "clear your throat already." He had that raspy, wheezy type sound.
RSV, pneumonia, strep and a nasty cough are all going around daycare. So in an abundance of precaution, Husband wanted a doctor to see him. Off I went, sure I would pay my $20 copay to be told it's just a cold.
The doctor came in and said it was probably a cold, but because it was the holidays and all that junk was going around, he would take blood, get an oxygen level, and run an RSV nasal swab test. Good news - no infection and oxygen levels are good. Bad news - he has RSV.
Doc said we all probably have it. Husband, Daughter and I probably won't ever experience anything other than common cold symptoms. In babies though, it can be quite serious. Because it is a virus, antibiotics won't do anything. The biggest risks are breathing related. To be safe, the doc wants his breathing monitored 24-7. Since it was no fun being in the hospital last time, we can do this at home. Husband went to bed at 8 pm. I'm up until 2 or 3 am to carefully watch Baby breathe. Then I'll wake Husband and we'll switch. Really, getting 5 hours straight may be better than spread out like it has been. We are to do this through Sunday and then if he seems better, we can quit.
We decided to go ahead to the in-laws. Husband and Daughter can go visit family. We'll skip the elderly aunts & uncles, as well as the cousin with the new baby. We'll go to the family gathering if no one there is sick. Doc wants us to avoid sickly people to avoid Baby getting anything else. If we go, he will be in a sling and no one will be near him. No passing the Baby around this year.
Really I'd like to stay home, but I know my Daughter would be terribly disappointed. She's feeling a bit left out already with him being so sick.
I figure I'll pull out the scrapbook stuff a few nights, catch up on blogging, play online games and lysol everything!
Oh, and just in case that wasn't enough, the doc decided it was time to ultrasound Baby's hips since they still seem tight. So that is Monday. I just decided to heck with work - I'm staying out Monday and Tuesday too - no way I'm putting Baby in daycare for those two days. Fingers crossed he is better so we can travel to see my Sister.
Hey, I wonder if I'll get to see the fat guy come down the chimney since I'll be awake???