April, just as her name says, is truly an optimist. She invites all of us to play along by identifying 10 things I like about myself. It's really a great exercise. So here are mine, in no particular order -
1. I have great, healthy hair. Seriously, my hairdresser told me. It's due to the prenatal vitamins I take. Plus during my pregnancy and subsequent maternity leave, I left it alone. No hair dryer, no curling iron, no styling products. Sure it was in a ponytail most days, but it is healthy.
2. I have no fear of public speaking (as long as I'm not getting personal).
3. I'm pretty smart, intellectually at least.
4. I am a good scrapbooker.
5. I'm a good mom.
6. I make a mean box of brownies. My friends always ask me to bring my "secret brownie recipe" to gatherings. Little do they know it is a store brand box mix (shh don't tell).
7. I read outloud very well, especially children's stories. With lots of inflection and different voices.
8. I'm a darn good swimmer.
9. I'm quick to figure a way "out" when need be. Even if I don't always act on it.
10. I'm protective of others, especially my family. I'll fight tooth and nail for something I believe in or someone that needs it.
So, what do you like about yourself? It's much harder to come up with things you like about yourself rather than others. But it is good to take some pride in yourself, and give yourself a break from beating up on yourself.