Friday, January 23, 2009

Patting Myself on the Back


I did it - part way. It's a good start. I spoke with the head of the agency several times. I called the person whose position I interviewed for (she made a lateral transfer to another position). I got a feel for the daily job requirements. I spoke to another attorney at the agency. I spoke with church members, two other attorneys, and friends. Of course my husband and I talked extensively. I prayed a lot.
Today I went for my background check and drug screen. I also negotiated a later start date. I'll not be immediately eligible for vacation so I want to take a long weekend to go see my Sister before starting.
Oh, did I forget to mention? I TOOK THE JOB !!!!!!!!!!!
I've gone from elation and excitement to sadness and panic.
Today I went and spoke to the senior partner - my mentor. The one who is the only other attorney who really does what I do. I was panicked. I was having major anxiety attacks. But......he took it so well. He asked me about the offer and admitted the firm can't match it. He told me that he enjoyed working with me and thought I was a great attorney but he absolutely understands why I'm taking it. Great meeting. I'll tell the rest of the firm on Monday.
I then told my assistant. She cried. It broke my heart. She is thinking of leaving too. She said she wanted to come with me and asked if I could find her a position there. It really makes me feel good that someone respects what I do and likes me enough to want to come with me. I hate to upset her. It made me upset. But I know I have to do what is best for me and my family.
I got to see my new office. It's smaller than my current one and not as nice. I actually expected worse given that it is a government building. But it's a decent size. Furniture looks comfy. And...it has a door and two windows. Yeah. That makes it lovely.
The other plus is that I found out I can have flex time. That means if my Daughter has T-ball on Tuesdays, I can arrange to leave early on Tuesdays and make it up later in the week. Wow! How awesome.
On the drive home today, I received a phone call and was talking about the job. My daughter was in the car and asked about it. She wanted to know why I was switching. Without hesitation I told her that she, her brother and her daddy are the most important things in the world to me. I said, "I want to be able to eat lunch with you at school, go to your events, be home with you, help you with your homework and have more time with you." She said, "With me? Yeah! I like that Mommy." That makes it all worthwhile.
I'm not looking forward to Monday morning. But I feel good about this.

13 comments:

Kahless said...

Seems to me like you have your priorities right.

{{{{Enola}}}}

Well done. You definately deserve that pat on your back.

Maybe also you should treat yourself to a new pair of shoes!

16 blessings'mom said...

Yesss!!! Congratulations, again, on your wonderful new job! The flex time will be wonderful. I have a daughter with some anxiety issues, she has had them all her life. She went back to college after break (she is in her 4th year), and she was so nervous, she couldn't eat...she was a wreck. She went anyway, and was okay after a while. She has just always been like this. She has learned to function anyways, and not listen to her body. She has gotten alot better, when she was younger, she would always throw-up when she got nervous....orthodontist, pediatrician, she would be sick to her stomach....So, it is nice to see her go ahead and do what she wants to do, and not be stopped by it. And I am so happy to see you get through the anxiety!

DM said...

WHA-WHOOOOO

Did you hear that where you live?

That's the noise I make when I'm excited about something...just ask the wife.

austin said...

This is really cool.

I understand the sadness over leaving the old job. Change includes loss and loss means sadness. It gets overwhelming when you're also excited. You go back and forth between the two and it can wear ya out. Hopefully the emotional side will iron out soon and you can bask in the new life you're creating for you and yours.

Austin

prochaskas said...

Congratulations. I'm so glad the conversations at your current job have gone so well so far.

beauty said...

How relieved you must be to have taken this step!

Congrats on following your heart--may your first day on the new job go smoothly.

mssc54 said...

Thats awesome news!

It may be encouraging to your daughter if you explain to her how GOD opened doors so you can be with her. ;)

quacks like a duck said...

Hooray!!!

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like things are falling into place. Cool!

I'm glad that you'll be able to spend important time with the kids. They grow up so fast.

Angel said...

Congratulations!

I'm glad your mentor took the news so well. That says to me that he really cares for you as a person, not as a tool. And what an ego boost for your assistant to want to come with you.

The people who love you are happy for you. The people who matter are happy for you. Anyone else doesn't matter.

What a wonderful message for your daughter to have about your job change.

Kim said...

I'm so happy to hear the meeting with your Sr Partner went so well. I know how anxious you were about that. And good for getting a later start date at the new position. I know this is a great move for you.

Anonymous said...

That's great, congratulations!
Tyler

lawyerchik said...

That's AWESOME, Enola!! Congratulations!! :) I'm glad things went well with your mentor - that always helps, and it sounds like he gave you his blessing on accepting the new job, too, which is great news. Yeah!!!

When do you start?