Monday, February 23, 2009

KEEP IT DOWN !!!

This is my living room -




This is me -


This morning I kept the toddler nursery during church. We had 9 children aged 18 months to 3 years. It was LOUD. It didn't bother me in the least. Children are supposed to be loud in that setting. We played Play-Doh, blocks and cars.


After church we came home. Soon my mother, father and brother-in-law arrived. We ate and the meandered into the living room to hang out. Of course, Husband and FIL "just had" to have the TV on. It alternated between headline news, Nascar racing and golf. My husband is talking to his dad about the stimulus package. MIL is trying to tell me about the family gossip. Daughter is running in and out demanding "watch me dance." Baby started crying. People talk louder to talk over the other.................................STOP YELLING!

My husband works in a loud environment. I know he has hearing loss (refuses to go get it checked out). He wears ear plugs at work, which require him to talk very loudly to his co-workers to be heard. He comes home and yells. I'm constantly putting my finger on my lips or saying "keep it down" or "stop yelling."

When husband gets excited or passionate about a subject, he can really get loud.

Noise doesn't bother me, as evidenced by the noisy toddlers this morning. However, loud debating and too many people talking at once makes me uneasy. Guaranteed to send me into a state of panic. I can feel myself tense up.

It relates back to Saturday and Sunday afternoons growing up. The TV was always on at the house. We all gathered in the living room. Toilet would start an argument - about race, religion, politics, etc. It would get louder and louder and uglier and uglier. Mom would try to divert attention by having a side conversation with someone. Soon it was just too noisy and I wanted everyone to SHUT UP.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.................quiet.............the in-laws have left. Daughter is in her room. Husband is in the other room. Quiet.................for awhile.........until Daughter's friends arrive.

5 comments:

mssc54 said...

Me and my Mrs. ran our infant/toddler nursery for three years.

As you know it can be as rewarding as it can be challenging.

The thing I always kept in mind was that for those two hours on a Sunday that might possibly be the only time a child is able to interact with Godly people... and especially Godly men.

Why don't more men give their time to the little ones?!

Ethereal Highway said...

The nursery noise sounds good. The other thing in the MIL's living room would be awful for me.

Marj aka Thriver said...

I crave peace and quiet muself--more than ever lately it seems. It had been driving me and my son CRAZY...but finally ny husband agreed to go get a hearing aid. No surpirse, he needed one. Expensive, though! yikes! But, my son and husband seem to be getting along better than ever now. Yay!

April_optimist said...

I feel the same way and for much the same reason. I truly, truly value peace and quiet or even joyful noise. But the other? No thanks.

jumpinginpuddles said...

we relish silence but there is always noise in our house with five kids two cats right near teh beach and hearing people and of course being a multiple nothing is quiet.