Wednesday, April 22, 2009

She's Definitely My Daughter


This is my 5 year old's foot. On Monday I received a call at work from her preschool. She and another boy were both running for the same caterpillar. They collided and she fell. She landed on her foot funny. She favored it a bit. They iced it and had her lay down for a nap with the other kids. She woke up still limping so they called.


We took her home and iced it. It was swollen a bit. Yesterday morning she woke up and was still walking only on the edge of her foot. So I decided better safe than sorry, and called the doctor. I picked her up early and headed to the pediatrician. They sent us to the hospital for x-rays. Then they called - broken...in two places. So of to the orthopedist we went. They asked her favorite color - pink of course. So now she has a hard pink cast. Since 5 year olds aren't quite up to managing crutches, she has a walking boot. She'll be in a cast for 6 weeks. So no T-ball - which she is upset over. I did splurge for the more expensive waterproof cover, so she can bathe and even swim. We're praying it heals well and no surgery is necessary.

My back is killing me. Carrying a 44 pound, five year old all over town, from doctor to doctor is rough. She's a real trooper though. Insisted I paint her toenails tonight, alternating pink and blue. Pink to match the cast and blue to match the boot.

She's definitely my daughter - because only someone who has inherited my clutzy tendencies can collide on a playground and break her foot in two places.

If anyone has some good luck pixie dust, send it my way. We've spent about $10,000 in medical bills since the Baby was born. And now are broke.

12 comments:

mssc54 said...

I FEEL HER PAIN!

Poor girl. Good for you for springing for the water proof boot.

After the cast comes off you get to start physical therapy!

Ethereal Highway said...

$10,000. and you were insured. The system is broken. I hope the foot heals quickly.

Secret Shadows said...

*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"
That's pixie dust.
I am empathetic. I have a six year old kindergartner. I can't even imagine. Six weeks is a long time for them, and it comes at a hard time of year....spring. All little girls want to be out playing, climbing, and running at top speed.I hope the time goes by fast for you.
Secret Shadows

Tamara (TC) said...

((((Enola)))) and hugs to your daughter, also. Bless her heart! I don't have any pixie dust but I will send lots of good vibes your way. $10k is a lot of money. I agree with Lynn... the system is seriously messed up!

lawyerchik said...

Ooo, poor little tyke! Sending you lots of healing/good luck pixie dust! *"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"**"*"*"*"*"*"*"

beauty said...

Owie! (Painful for her foot, and your pocketbook as well.)

Let's hope for a quick healing. (Maddy's favorite color is pink too.)

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh dear, poor thing. Charlotte Claire broke two bones in her leg/ankle when she was littler, and she also had a pink cast. She adjusted to it so quickly, and she walked/thumped/ran....it IS a real bummer about the cost, though. But you know, the alternative is worse. Socialized medicine stinks. Look at Canada, Britain, Norway....my daughter is practicing nursing right now over there(in Norway), and their system stinks. If anyone needs anything special done, they come here and pay. Same with Canada. We have a friend in Canada with diabetes, and it took him forever just to get in to see a doctor (seriously, six months)....so, although it does hurt the wallet, we do have the best medical care in the world.

Hope that helps!!!

della

Ana said...

Just found you at Marj's blog.
Hope your daughter gets better soon.

cornnut32 said...

medical bills are awful. i feel your pain!

i gave you an award on my blog. thanks for being such an inspiration to me.
http://pictureofexperience.blogspot.com/

jumpinginpuddles said...

oh boy i remember when the twins both broke their legs, total sympathy in this corner

Kahless said...

10k???

Bloody hell. You insured? I dont understand your health system.

Thinking of you both.

Joy said...

I'm so sorry to read of DD's injury! And all your stresses!!! We have tons of medical bills but I refuse to add them all up. ha. I just know we pay $500/month for years just to get to zero and that doesn't add ds' ER trip last week. :(

Hugs, my long-time friend. I can't believe we have nearly Kindergarten aged kids!!!