Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Throwing in the Towel

As I write this, I am watching Baby breathe. In..out..in...out... He has had a cough for two days. Husband called this afternoon and got an appointment for the AM. I put Baby in a steamy bathroom.

The breathing got worse. The wheezing got worse. He coughed and coughed. Panted. Then he stopped..... just as I reached for him, he coughed, caught his breath and started breathing again. I called the ped. Couldn't get through the on-call line. So headed to urgent care.

X-rays were clear. Oxygen levels weren't great. Wheezing. Rattling. Had a fever. The urgent care called the peds office and consulted. Debated hospitalization. Sent us home after an oral steroid/breathing treatment. Oh and an antibiotic too because he an ear infection.

Husband is in bed. I'll watch the Baby to be sure he continues to breathe. Then I'll tag off and get some sleep. Husband will take Baby to doc while I go to court and arrange coverage if needed.

I'm done - we have the NICU at birth; virus hospitalization at 6 weeks; RSV at Christmas; anal stenois; thyroid issues. Throw in daughter's general illness. Three stomach viruses among the family. One kidney stone and surgery for me. A new job - new insurance. No sick time. Miss 2 weeks of work. Miss 2 court dates (and maybe a third tomorrow). Met my deductible last year and out of pocket max. Met Baby's too. Paid COBRA. Met new insurance deductible. Soon to meet Baby's. Our savings account is down a whole lot. It will be gone soon.

Halloween was cut because Baby was in hospital. Christmas was cut short because of Baby's RSV. Now Easter is iffy. If it is RSV we can't have my sister and family here.

I am at my wit's end.

4 comments:

lawyerchik said...

I'm praying for you, Enola - you and your baby and your family!!

austin said...

PPD is a huge issue for many. If this is the case then please try and get yourself seen. This will help your own sanity. I hear PPD can take a huge toll on a person.

we wish you peace of mind,
Austin

Ethereal Highway said...

I used to call it 'daycare disease'. I hope the madness will soon end.

Marj aka Thriver said...

Holy crap! How much is one family supposed to deal with? I'm so sorry, Enola. Sending prayers and healing vibes.

((((((((((((Enola))))))))))))