Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Being called to Task on Not good enough


Last evening, storms were forecast ed and so our planned pool trip was out. Instead, my husband raced home to mow before it rained. I picked up the kids and headed to the grocery store. We decided to grab a bite to eat at the McDonalds.
Since it was an unexpected trip, I did not have the diaper bag. I also didn't have an ice pack to keep the expressed milk cold while we were shopping.
Instead, I grabbed a diaper and pack of wipes from the "extra stash" I keep in my car, transferred those to the little cooler bag, put the bottles of pumped milk in the little cooler bag and carried it inside. I added some ice from the soda fountain and voila - the milk stayed cold until I got home.
Bugaboo chose our impromptu gathering to blow up his diaper. So off to the bathroom to change him. Didn't have a table cover. So used some paper towels. He screeched a little when I wiped him - guess that pack of wipes on ice was a little cold !! (oops) He then drooled all over himself, and wasn't too neat about eating the yogurt I got him. Of course I did not have baby food or a bib in my "bag of extras."
So we make it home just as the skies open up. Bugaboo is starving - it was his first taste of yogurt so I wouldn't let him have more than a few bites. Husband remarks, "you should keep an extra container of food in the car."
I talked with a friend last night and we were talking about our evenings. She said to me, "Enola you are so organized. I never would have thought about keeping extra diapers and wipes in the car."
My response - "If I were really organized, I would keep the diaper bag packed in the car. Or have food and a spoon in the car. And an extra set of disposable changing table covers."
She laughed and said, "will you ever cut yourself a break? Pat yourself on the back for remembering diapers and wipes, improvising with the ice and move on. You can't be perfect."
She's right. Bugaboo got a clean, dry diaper. Munchkin and I got a laugh at his surprised face with the cold wipes. We laughed harder when we each "just had to" take a cold wipe and put it on our own necks just to see how cold it really was. Bugaboo got to try yogurt and a McDonald's french fry. No one suffered. We all had fun. Grocery shopping is done.
My friend told me to focus more on what I accomplish and to take just a minute to allow myself to bask in the glory of a task completed, before I move on to what I haven't done or should have done. I think she's right.

5 comments:

Kim said...

She is right. Though I suffer from the same self defeating thoughts as you, always faster to tell you what I didn't do than what I did. This is particularly timely since I'm about to post something on a similar topic. It's hard to learn how to cut yourself slack. :o)

artconstellation said...

She is right! I liked this post. Thank you. :)

Steven said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Deborah

http://maternitymotherhood.net

April_optimist said...

I'm with your friend. I am soooo impressed with what you did have and how you improvised!

mountainmama said...

ooh, what a good example of getting out of not beating up on yourself. i need more practice at this too. i tend to be too self-critical. thanks for sharing this!