Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Panic - Husband Laid Off

Let the test of faith begin.


Husband just called. He is being laid off. His company has plenty of business - enough that he has been working overtime and some Saturdays. But while his division is really busy, the company is woefully mis-managed.

So as of August 28th he is unemployed. He's never been unemployed. Not since age 16.

He carries medical insurance on himself and the two kids. Time to get him an appointment with the doctor lickety split. He also has the YMCA membership, Sam's club membership, Science center membership and supplemental insurance through his work.

The last time I helped with his resume, we did it on our old computer and it is saved on a 3 1/2 x 5 floppy disk. Guess we'll be re-doing that! I did pull up the Employment security commission website. You need a law degree (ha) to make any sense of that. It is all automated and super confusing.

So off to make a zillion phone calls. Add him and the kids to my insurance. Find out expiration of YMCA and Sam's club. Pay the $5 fee to get a key to our (free) church gym. Go stock up on Sam's club diapers. Cancel all extras. Find out about forbearance on school loans. See if Husband qualifies for any grant money to go to school. Print off job openings.

Once I get through my to do list, I'll succumb to panic......

8 comments:

mssc54 said...

One door closes for another one to open.

Real easy for me to say.

Have faith.

What field does your husband work in?

Mike Golch said...

My prayers are with you and you hubby,that he finds something real soom and that you life will not be upside for long.

lawyerchik said...

You're doing the right things, Enola, and you're way ahead of most people I've ever met. Will be praying for you and your family as you go through this. Let me know if there is anything else I can do!!

Ethereal Highway said...

That's a rough break, Enola. I'm glad you are managing it in such a way as to keep the damages to a minimum.

Beautifuldreamer said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. Things have a way of working out, but in the meantime, when you're just trying to cope with being broadsided, those words aren't much comfort.

Hope your hubby finds something soon, and something he likes even better than his last job.

16 blessings'mom said...

Ouch, Enola! Ouch! I am praying for you guys, that he finds work again quickly....that is one phone call we just don't want to get, isn't it?

prochaskas said...

Yikes!

It's good that you can stay on top of these logistics -- and it seems like having that stuff to do is helping you cope with the anxiety, too.

Lord, provide the right new job -- soon. And especially provide for this family in the transition time, for extra grace and kindness and faith.

Kahless said...

I am so sorry Enola.