Wednesday, October 14, 2009

All I Really Needed to Know I (should have) Learned in Kindergarten



Having a child start kindergarten means learning a new set of rules and teaching new rules to your child. I've learned that there is a lot I didn't learn growing up. It's hard to teach your child something that you haven't learned yourself. I'm writing this blog as much to remind myself of these rules as anything -


Rule #1 - You do not have to like Everyone.
It's okay to have a best friend or two. It's okay if you do not like everyone. Look for the good inside of everyone, but don't expect to always find it. There are some people who are just plain evil. Avoid them. There are some people who are consistently negative. Ignore them. There are some that are just different than you and you have nothing in common with them. Learn how you can compliment them and they you. Then there are those that will encourage you - relish them. Learn what you can from others but don't assume everyone is honest and truthful.


Rule #2 - Be Yourself

Don't change who you are to fit what you think someone wants you to be. Find out who you are. Be true to yourself. Don't be afraid to grow and change, but do it because you want too, not because you think someone else doesn't like the way you are.


Rule #3 - Say You are Sorry when You Hurt Someone

Even if it is unintentional. More importantly say you're sorry when you hurt yourself. Forgive yourself and move on. Learn what you can from every situation and move forward. Moving forward is not the same as forgetting the past; instead it is learning to keep the past from holding you hostage.


Rule #4 -

Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.

It is important not to get too caught up in accomplishments and "to do" lists. Set time aside to enjoy the little things in life. It's amazing how much taking some "me" time can help you accomplish.

5 comments:

lawyerchik said...

I like those rules. Can I post them in my office break room??? :)

Tracie said...

Numbers one and two are the biggies. I was such a people pleaser as a child and wanted to just be seen, that I always tried to make everyone like me, and would always change myself to fit the people I was around. I'm not proud of it, just aware of it, and sometimes still working on it.

Great rules!

mssc54 said...

We too have a kindergartener. I winced when I saw the term "evil" used. I like to think that there are "evil people" but certainly NOT in my son's class.

I have grown a bit bewildered at the "cookie-cutter" style of public education. How are we too expect our young people to become the individual they were created to be when they are all treated the same way, taught the same lessons, go to the same classrooms with the same desks all painted the same, all go to the bathroom at the same time, all eat lunch at the same time, all play with the same things at the same time?

Now go be creative??

Enola said...

Oh I didn't mean an "evil" kindergartener. But I do believe there are evil adults in this world.

Now after chaperoning the kindergarten field trip, I can tell you there are some pretty bratty kids in this world, but I blame that on their parents.

Colleen said...

I love the list. Every item!! Blessings.