Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Separated by Miles


531 miles - 8 1/2 hours
That distance is pissing me off right now. I'm wishing for a machine that will let me travel at the speed of light.
When I last posted, my sister, her husband and their three children were visiting. We had a great time. It was so much fun - one of the best visits we have had. The kids got along great, weather was great and we had a blast.
Sister got to see Munchkin's first soccer practice. She watched Bugaboo while DH and I took Munchkin to back-to-school night. It was great being together. We talked about how we really wish we lived closer. But I am not moving up north and she isn't moving down south so apart we stay. We planned our next visits - us up there for Thanksgiving and them down here for New Years.
Saturday I got a call from my sister that her husband was being rushed to the hospital. He had been found unconscious in his house. When he regained conscsiousness he complained of chest pain and head pain. BIL is 38 years old with no family history of heart disease. Lots of tests have revealed no answers. He's had some minor (to the doctors, although it sounded major to me) surgery, which didn't explain the problems he is having. There are still no answers.
My niece and nephews started school this week. So far they've had sitters every morning and evening. My Sister has been rushing back and forth to the hospital. She is supposed to start back to work herself (school system job) this Wednesday. I can hear it in her voice that she is exhausted.
It's just my sister and I. My mom sure isn't going to do anything to help - except call a zillion times a day and ask a zillion stupid questions. BIL is estranged from his (wacko) family too. Sister, like most abuse survivors, is very hesitant to leave her kids with just anyone. So having to find last minute sitters is pushing her anxiety through the roof.
531 miles - 8 1/2 hours separate us. I can't do anything about the mileage but I sure can cut down the 8 1/2 hour time. I'm waiting on call to see whether I hit the road or not.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Like many of us, she probably has trouble asking for help. Go, GO!

misssrobin said...

You are all in my heart and in my prayers.

lawyerchik said...

Oh, Enola, I am so sorry to hear about this.... If you can, definitely go. You will never regret it if you do. Praying for you.

From Tracie said...

I am so sorry. Prayers for you and your sister and brother-in-law.

mssc54 said...

I can totally relate. I trust things will work out well.