Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sexual Abuse Survivors & DID Featured on Oprah



I have read both of Erin Merryn's books and I must say they are wonderfully written. Erin is a powerful advocate for sexual abuse survivors everywhere. Her latest crusade is passing Erin's Law. In school, children experience fire drills and tornado drills. The "just say no" campaign teaches kids what to do when presented with drugs. But there is no program designed to teach kids what to do if someone attempts to molest the, or what to do if they have been abused. Erin's law is an education campaign to address this missing piece in school.

I was super excited to get a facebook message from Erin saying she was going to appear on Oprah. I watched the show last night. (Read about her appearance here). The show was a must-see.

Oprah's episode was titled "One Mom, 20 Personalities" and featured Kim Noble. There were flashbacks to Truddi Chase, and an update on her story, as well as an interview with her daughter.

I remember watching Truddi on Oprah. The original show aired in 1990. I don't know if i saw the original broadcast or a repeat. But it was in the 90s that I first saw it. I remember "rabbit" one of the personalities. I remember the terror in Truddi's voice and thinking how horrible it must be to have these personalities that just wouldn't forget about the abuse. (you may know Truddi from "when rabbit howls" or from the movie "The Voices within). At that time I thought my own method of "pushing the memories down" was the best way to cope.

There is an interview of two girls on the website discussing the show and they said, "
They believed if they confided in their mother they would never have to see their molester again. But instead of going to the police, their mother, Ellen, struck a tragic deal with the man molesting her children. "I took the girls to a counselor. The counselor said, 'You know, really you have two choices,'" Ellen explains. "'You can have him arrested or you can see that he gets counseling,' which I thought I did. He didn't end up going continually to the counseling." Their own father, who knew what happened, remained close with the man, even continuing to bring the girls to the abuser's home." I can well relate to their situation. My mother gave me the two choices instead. Tell and go live with my father, or keep quiet and he (Toilet) would get counseling, which I thought he did, but he did not.

If you get the chance to see this episode online or on a rerun, watch it. It is very healing and very well presented. Also check out Erin's website and how you can support and advocate for Erin's law.


9 comments:

Erin Merryn said...

Thanks for the shout out! :) Break the silence!

beautifuldreamer said...

I taped this episode of Oprah in case I wanted to watch it more than once.

I have the utmost respect for Trudi Chase, and her daughter. I thought Oprah handled the subject of DID intelligently and thoughtfully.

I can't imagine going on national TV and speaking about my disorder--my hat's off to anyone who has the courage to do so.

(PS When Rabbit Howls is the most painful book I've ever read.)

Clueless said...

Oprah rules. She handles such delicate subjects with gently, compassionately and usually quite accurate.

Did your counselor report your abuse or was it before mandated reporting?

take care,
cc

Marj aka Thriver said...

I see you're raising awareness like you do so well, Enola. You go, girl!

Rising Rainbow said...

I remember reading When Rabbit Howls. I recognized those conversations in her head. I even tried to tell my therapist that things were that way in my head but she told me I was different. I most certainly turned out to be different all right. Way more splits and much more complicated than Truddi Chase but still the same in many other ways.

I will have to see if I can find access to this most current Oprah. I'd love to know how Truddi is doing. I think of her often as I manage my own internal voices.

I'm saddened your mother didn't protect you. You deserved so much better than you ever got from her. AND it always tickles me that you have the strength to call him "Toilet." It fits so profoundly.

livescore said...

Don't be sad about ผลบอล moving to London, think of all the lovely vintage social events you ผลบอลสด can go to. Also London has great fabric shops!

sbo said...

Hello there, simply become alert to your weblog thru Google, and fosbobetund that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels

Vesta Duvall said...

The appearance of survivors on TV can be helpful for those who are still hiding in their closets. It’s time for every victim to voice out against their abuser. But that doesn’t mean that you run to the nearest network and broadcast your story on the national television. Consulting a professional, like a doctor or a lawyer, will always be an advisable step. :)

Vesta Duvall @ The Zalkin Law Firm, P.C.

Anonymous said...

e cigarette, e cigarette health, electronic cigarettes, e cigarette, e cigarette, e cigarette forum